I’m really struggling to find a new bag.
This is not groundbreaking and not important. I feel vacuous even saying it. But I would quite like to know where I stand in the ‘bag market’.
I am not ‘fashion’ enough for a PS1, not Kings Road enough for an Anya Hindmarch and am repelled by ubiquity so that rules out Mulberry et al. So where to turn? And all without forking out an eye-watering amount (especially as I know that all of my handbags will inevitably be filled with crumbs and pens that have lost their lids, no matter how hard I try to keep things nice).
The above snap was surreptitiously taken in Selfridges when I realised that the Sandro bag sitting on the shelf is the closest thing I’ve seen to the right bag – discreet, roomy, leather.. maybe there’s hope yet?
Posted: April 20th, 2012
, Anya Hindmarch
, Proenza Scouler
Comments: No Comments
- Katie Rowland Smokey Quartz Knuckleduster – so pretty and tough. The inspiration for this piece speaks to me – 1960s jet set glamour and St Tropez (I can only dare to dream of this kind of life) and I’m sure this ring would glamorise even the grimiest thrown-together outfit. £265.00 at Liberty.
- Lulu Guinness Black Scallop Shell Mini Frame Purse – this piece is quite unusual for Lulu Guinness I think. I like its subtlety and the fact that it reminds me of the beach without going into the conventional (read: boring) nautical colour scheme. £37.00 in the sale.
- Kate Sheridan Mustard Waxed Cotton Brogued Tote – January is all about the hunt for a new bag, and while this one isn’t flashy, I love the contrast of the colours and fabrics. Plus you can’t beat its size (46 x 33cm). £42.50 in the sale.
- Costume National bag – this will only ever be a lust-after kind of item. Not only because it’s now sold out on Yoox but for two other reasons. 1. I couldn’t afford it (I think it was about £300) and 2. I would have invariably gotten blue biro on its beautiful white leather. But phwoar, what a bag.
- Georgina Goodman Clayton Shoes – these ankle boots with Cuban-inspired heel (chunky, masculine, perfection) are everything I’m looking for in a pair of boots. I’m envisaging these beauties with skinny black trousers and skirts alike. Sigh. Now £160 in the sale.
- Anya Hindmarch Black Camera Pouch – at the moment my cheapie digital camera lives in a cheapie camera case bought in Saturn (Berlin’s version of HMV meets Curry’s). This camera case is a bit indulgent but actually a very affordable Anya Hindmarch purchase. £75 at The Gift Library.
- Olive Leaf Blown Vase at The Conran Shop – I’ve had my eye on this vase for quite a while but I’ve not bought it as yet as I got a vase for my birthday in November (a gorgeous turquoise one with a peacock detail on the side from Habitat) and I’m drastically running out of surface area in my flat. (Also the boyfriend would massively chastise me for spending money on non-essential items..) There’s something about the simplicity of this vase though that appeals to me. It would be so gorgeous seeing the stems of the flowers through the leaf design. Maybe I’ll start dropping hints to boyf in time for Valentine’s day.. £35 at The Conran Shop
- Ilcsi Sour Cherry Gel Mask – as with most beauty buys (mainly face products) I’ve become obsessed about this one, certain that this one item is the missing link in my beauty regime that will fulfil all its promises and provide me with flawless skin. Truth be told, I’m not sure any product could do that for me but I’m sure the sour cherry smell would bring back welcome memories of a trip to Budapest if nothing else! £25 from Cult Beauty (though unfortunately sold out for the moment).
- Nanni Mesh Belt – a Matches sale buy, this belt will stand the test of time as it would work with military, boho and tribal looks – which, let’s face it, are always in fashion every few years. I never really bother to spend out on belts as I don’t wear them that often but I think my wardrobe really needs this bad boy. £75 in the Matches sale.
- Anna Sui Knitted Top with Illustration – 70’s look? Check. Quirky? Check. Winter chic? Check. I must have it! Approx £75 in the mytheresa.com sale.
Posted: January 25th, 2011
Tags: Anna Sui
, Anya Hindmarch
, Cooperative Designs
, Georgina Goodman
, Kate Sheridan
, Katie Rowland
, Lulu Guinness
, Sour Cherry
, The Conran Shop
, The Gift Library
Comments: 1 Comment